Subject: Re: Drive Numbering...
To: Scott Reynolds <scottr@plexus.com>
From: Phil Knaack <flipk@ncremp.ag.iastate.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 11/15/1995 22:18:48
>On Wed, 15 Nov 1995, David Gilbert wrote:
>
>> 	Worse, IMHO, is the fact that you might have to recompile your
>> kernel to change what drives you're swapping to.  'Course we really
>> need an overhaul there, too, to add file swapping and the ability to
>> add/subtract swap.

>"File swap" should be able to use a vnd.

Yep. Have done it often.

>Are there systems that can disable swapping without a reboot?

Dare I say it? The one that starts with an 'L' and ends with 'X' has a
"swapon" and a "swapoff" command. If you try to swapoff when there is a
lot running on the machine it will grind to a screeching halt. At least,
the last time I typed swapoff (foolish me, I was running X and several xterms
on a machine with 6 meg!) it killed the machine dead.

>As for adding swap devices without compiling a new kernel, this would be
>nice.  It's not trivial problem to solve, in terms of the amount of work
>it would require, at least.

I agree it would be nice. Although I'm sure in a lot of cases, adding swap
generally means totally hosing a disk somewhere to rearrange partitons. So
a kernel rebuild shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Cheers,
Phil
----
Phil Knaack                    flipk@iastate.edu
Database Programmer, NCREMP    Student Development Group
ISU Extension                  Project Vincent, Iowa State University