Subject: Re: SCSI numbering?
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>
From: Open Carefully -- Contents Under Pressure <greywolf@defender.VAS.viewlogic.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/15/1995 15:39:01
Now that this has been beaten to death, I'd like to flog it a bit. :-)

I always thought that things like /dev/dsk/cNtNdNsN were rather
cumbersome to deal with; /dev/sd0a is much easier to type (I can't
*tell* you how easy it is to make typos with longer names :-).

That said, as other people pointed out, it's easy enough to nail down
your devices in your kernel configuration, i.e.

scsibus0 at esp0
sd0 at scsibus0 drive 0 lun 0
sd1 at scsibus0 drive 1 lun 0

etc.

The only problem I can really find with this is when one has a machine
which suffers from the problem of "config du jour".  Other than that,
it makes perfect sense to either nail them down, or make sure you swap
your devices out in a prescribed manner.

Alternatively, the nailing down of devices can be done in a more flexible
manner.  If you *know* your machine will have one disk consistently as
its root disk, nail it down.  Just wildcard everything that you expect
to change.

				--*greywolf;
--
People who cannot be persuaded to use turn signals or ashtrays while driving
should not be permitted to drive.