Subject: Re: serial related crash
To: None <randy@zyzzyva.com>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/15/1995 15:54:27

[michaelv wrote:]
>> I've seen exactly the same behavior, occasionally.  Every now and then
>> my modem will get in a funky state, and I'll just reach over and flip
>> it off, then back on.  This used to be a painless fix.  Since
>> upgrading from 1.0 to current, however, it can cause these lockups.
>> (Yes, I'm running with my ESP-patched com.c driver now, but I'm almost
>> positive that it did it even with the stock driver.)
>
>I am *not* running with your ESP driver and still have problems.
>My problems (Window manager dies) can be caused simply by loss
>of PPP connection. The Xserver is still running, but all windows
>have died.

It can't be just that.  I've had my PPP connection die quite often
while I was in X, and X has never died on me.  It may be
modem-specific, though: I have an internal modem, so it doesn't turn
off unless the whole box does.

Do any of you have a voltmeter and a breakout box?  The hangups and/or
X death may occur because your modem drops DSR when you turn it off,
or something like that.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>           http://www.shore.net/~mikel
Norwood, MA 02062 USA                assert(*this!=opinionof(Analog));