Subject: Re: Drive Numbering...
To: Frank Dana <danaf@cs.rpi.edu>
From: Tom I Helbekkmo <tih@Hamartun.Priv.NO>
List: current-users
Date: 11/15/1995 17:56:17
On Wed, 15 Nov 1995, Frank Dana wrote:

> Could we puh-leeeeze get the device numbering set up so that it at least
> sorta reflects physical ID numbers? Or, at the very least, doesn't change
> if you add/remove anywhere but the end of the ID chain?

It's your own call.  In the GENERIC configuration files, it's common
to have stuff like (this is from /sys/arch/i386/conf/GENERIC):

sd*	at scsibus? target ? lun ?	# SCSI disk drives
st*	at scsibus? target ? lun ?	# SCSI tape drives
cd*	at scsibus? target ? lun ?	# SCSI CD-ROM drives

When you "roll your own" configuration file, you want to change this
to e.g. (this is from my own /sys/arch/i386/conf/BARSOOM):

sd0	at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0	# SCSI disk drives
sd1	at scsibus0 target 1 lun 0
sd2	at scsibus0 target 2 lun 0
sd3	at scsibus0 target 3 lun 0
cd0	at scsibus0 target 4 lun 0	# SCSI CD-ROM drive
st0	at scsibus0 target 5 lun 0	# SCSI tape drive

swapon clobbering file systems by hitting the wrong disk, ccdconfig
being fooled into striping the wrong partition into a file system, a
database system using a raw partition and getting it wrong...  Scary
stuff.  The wildcarding is there for /genvmunix, not for production.

-tih
--
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo
tih@Hamartun.Priv.NO