Subject: Re: Drive Numbering...
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Frank Dana <danaf@cs.rpi.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 11/15/1995 13:19:13
With Shakespearian flourish, Chris G Demetriou writes:
> > Could we puh-leeeeze get the device numbering set up so that it at least
> > sorta reflects physical ID numbers? Or, at the very least, doesn't change
> > if you add/remove anywhere but the end of the ID chain?
>
> No, something for you to fix in your config files.  This was one of
> the first annoyances fixed in NetBSD's SCSI code, before any port
> other than the i386 port even existed.
[...]

Ah, cool. I hadn't realized you could set it up like that. Is this in
the FAQ? Actually, perhaps it should be in some "Other Setup" section of
1.1's install document. Something for people who finally have a working
system to consider doing.  ('So You Want to Build a Kernel?')  8)

Can you do the numbering any way you please? Say I had two controllers.
could I number as:

sd10	at scsibus0 target 0 lun ?
sd11	at scsibus0 target 1 lun ?
[...]