Subject: Re: du not working in /etc/remote
To: VaX#n8 <vax@cs.utexas.edu>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: current-users
Date: 11/14/1995 22:37:34
>While trying to help, Chris G Demetriou wrote:
>> check the flags on the serial line.  in particular, the tty i dial out
>> on has 'local' set in /etc/ttys.  tip doesn't do the right (or,
>> perhaps just 'sane' 8-) thing, dialing out.  unless it sees carrier,
>I also think the manpage for "cu" and "tip" should mention how they differ,
>just in case you're an admin trying to figure out which one to use; it would
>be nice to know that "cu" is an interface to "tip" :)

Errr, it's not, is it?  I am pretty sure that the NetBSD "cu" is the
Taylor UUCP cu, and doesn't have a thing to do with tip (other than they're
both slightly broken programs that know how to talk to serial lines :-) ).

I have used cu to dial out on ports without putting "local" in my /etc/ttys.
I have the following in /etc/uucp/port:

port tty01
 type modem
 device /dev/tty01