Subject: Re: what makes lost+found in NetBSD?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christoph Badura <bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org>
List: current-users
Date: 11/08/1995 15:42:00
greywolf writes:

>#define AUTHOR "fair@clock.org ("Erik E. Fair"  (Time Keeper))"
> * This also
> * means that you could create a trivial script to walk the local mount points
> * and check for the existence of lost+found and report that to "root" for
> * further investigation. Hmmm.

It isn't any more difficult to write a script to report non-empty
lost+found directories.

>[...] but, again,
>disk space isn't at *that* much of a premium any more, so there's no real
>reason to reserve 8K of space for inode relocation.

Well, then I argue that there isn't a reason to reserve 4 or 8 K off a
file system for a lost+found.  That's insignificant compared to the
space you waste on inodes, bitmaps, and replicated super-blocks.

>Besides, don't we do automagic directory collapsing?

I believe only when unlinking.  And a directory uses at least a FS
block anyway.

--
Christoph Badura	bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org		+49 721 606137

Es genuegt nicht, keine Gedanken zu haben;
man muss auch unfaehig sein, sie auszudruecken.  - Karl Kraus