Subject: Re: Dynalinks in 1.1
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: David Hobley <David.Hobley@nms.otc.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 11/07/1995 09:35:26
On Mon, 6 Nov 1995, Ken Hornstein wrote:

> I do know that dlopen/dlclose/dlsym and friends are supported under NetBSD.
> I even remember hearing someone say that they got it working with Perl 5.
> I don't know about CDE and Fresco, but from the stuff I looked at with the
> latest alpha of Tcl/Tk, all you needed was dlopen() & friends to get dynamic
> linking working.

dlopen() and co work just fine if you specify the complete path to the
library you wish to open. However, Fresco sort of assumes dlopen() will
search through the LD_LIBRARY_PATH or equivalent as ld does when linking
initially. Thus to make Fresco work, you need the shared libraries in the
same directory as the binary you are executing. And possibly some hackery
with the names of the libraries (I can't remember what I did with that).

I don't know about CDE or Tcl/Tk.

This was as of -current a month or two ago.

Cheers,
david