Subject: Re: NCR driver (Was Re: Adaptec 2940 PCI support? )
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Rahim Azizarab <ray@Tezcat.Com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/06/1995 23:06:47
On Sun, 5 Nov 1995, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Date: Sun, 05 Nov 1995 21:39:04 -0500
> From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
> To: Rahim Azizarab <ray@tezcat.com>
> Cc: current-users@netbsd.org
> Subject: NCR driver (Was Re: Adaptec 2940 PCI support? )
>

> Rahim Azizarab writes:
> > How about a somewhat stable driver for a ncr controller? I keep getting a lot
> > of time outs, and assertion command failed in ncr.c.  This happens on both
> > netBSD and freeBSD.  With linux this problem doesn't happen.
>
> It doesn't happen to me with Thor's patched NCR driver from a while
> back -- everything in it is totally stable -- but since the 1.1Alpha
> NCR driver won't work at all on my machine I haven't had a chance to
> beat on the new NCR driver in the tree to test it.
>
> I'll say this, though -- if you are running an old (i.e. from a few
> months back) version of current, you should upgrade your NCR driver
> immediately. The one you are running is pure crud and used to do all
> of what you are talking about.
>
> Perry

Well, I went and grabbed the binaries from netbsd.org for 1.0 and from
wasabi.com for the current. I can use the floppies to create the basic
system structure on my scsi hard drive. When I start to do tar -xvf /dev/st0
to read the tar files from the tape just after it reads base.tar.gz I get
controller time outs and the system reboots.  I have a NCR/PCI controller.
The farthest I ever got was with 1.0 binaries. I was able to untar the tar
files, and I renamed Generic to netbsd.  The system booted but dropped me
into db (the debugger).  So I have never got to the point where I can compile
the source.

     .--.  __  .---------     Rahim Azizarab
    / /  \(  )/   ----        1925 S. 3rd Ave
   ////  ' \/ ` ---           Maywood,  IL  60153
  // / / :    :--             708-344-6994
       =UU====UU=             ray@tezcat.com