Subject: Re: swap leakage?
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@balvenie.pdl.cs.cmu.edu>
From: John Dyson <dyson@freefall.freebsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 11/05/1995 22:09:07

> > > I think this problem is real, considering the number of people who have
> > > reported it.
> >
> > It certainly is real. It's an old problem in the VM code.
>
> And, unless i'm mistaken, it was one of the first problems that the
> FreeBSD folks fixed in their VM code.  (Granted the fix was a hack...
> but which is better: "hacked" or "broken"?)

Actually our first "fixes" helped the problem a bit and were work-arounds.  We
now have an algorithmically complete fix.  NetBSD could probably
make the problem go away for the majority of applications (except for the
heaviest ISP-type loads), with a few simple mods.  The current FreeBSD fix
required a rewrite of the swap_pager (which needed it badly anyway) and
algorithmically finishing the collapse code (part of the problem is that
it wasn't complete.)

If anyone wants to try their own solution then I am certainly willing to help
with some been there/done that advice.

John
dyson@freebsd.org