Subject: Re: FS clean bit, is it reliable?
To: Daniel Carosone <dan@anarres.mame.mu.oz.au>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@edsi.org>
List: current-users
Date: 11/05/1995 23:37:37
On Mon, 6 Nov 1995, Daniel Carosone wrote:

> I don't think I've ever seen it place files in lost+found (though II
> could of course have missed or fogotten a case or two).

I've seen it, and seen it regularly (I've got a couple machines that have
been finicky lately, one due to a driver and the other to some major
brain damage on my part).  I've yet to find the patience to do anything
other than rm -rf lost+found/*, though.  I like backups.

> Anyone know why this is happening? If our fsck ever does reconnect
> files, what conditions and ccircumstances are necessary for it to do
> so?

I don't know the answer to this question, but I imagine UTSL'ing would be
a good place to start.

--scott