Subject: Re: Hesiod thoughts
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Ask Dr. Stupid <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/30/1995 12:21:48
I see the practicality of deprecating the get*ent() routines, but I still
think that it would be something of a loss, especially to people who wish
to complete ambiguities (a la csh's filec or tcsh).

Of course, the first time I implemented autohosting into tcsh (i.e. you
just muttered "hostname [args]..." and if the hostname wasn't present
as a command, it was the same as "rsh hostname [args]..."), and tried to
enable hostname completion as part of command completion, performance went
through the floor, so I pulled it out...

(Actually I don't use the getpwent() searches any more since, as a sysadmin,
 I know all the users anyway :-)... so it's no nevermind to me, but still...)

Thanks to the fact that the SysV camp couldn't accept that BSD was better
written and gave better performance and utilisation of resources, we now have
a new OS to contend with:  Windoze N(o)T.  If the UNIX world had adopted a
fully configurable *optional* GUI atop a BSD-based OS sooner, this wouldn't
have happened.  TO ANY WOULD-BE SYSADMIN:  Reconsider your choice of career.
Windows?  No Thanks.