Subject: Re: Exabyte tape drive, anyone?
To: Paul Goyette <>
From: Matt Ragan <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/29/1995 21:49:52
Paul Goyette wrote:
>Has anyone got an Exabyte 8mm tape drive working under -current?  I've
>got one that panics as soon as the driver tries to execute
>I'm guessing that there's some special quirkdata that needs to be set for
>this beast, (the Exabyte section of quirkdata in st.c is disabled by an
>#if 0 ... #endif) but I don't know the details.
>Also, can anyone enlighten me on the differences between rst0, erst0,
>nrst0, and enrst0?  Thanks.

What kind of tape drive?  I have an 8500 and an 8500c working, although
an IBM-modified 8505 doesn't work.  Of course, I haven't found an
IBM-modified anything that works correctly on a non-IBM operating system,
which is a good reason to avoid them like the plague, as far as I'm

Matt Ragan  (  Motorola/IBM Somerset PowerPC Design Center
Network Administrator          Systems/Network Engineering  (512) 795-7298
9737 Great Hills Trail         Austin, Tx  78759        FAX (512) 795-7519