Subject: Re: Union mount problem?
To: David Brownlee <D.K.Brownlee@city.ac.uk>
From: Rolf Grossmann <grossman@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
List: current-users
Date: 10/26/1995 12:44:06
Hi,

on Thu, 26 Oct 1995 10:11:25 +0000 (GMT) David Brownlee wrote
concerning "Re: Union mount problem?" something like this:

> 	Is the upper layer a 4.4 filesystem?
> 	4.2 & 4.3 filesystems do not support whiteouts, which unionfs needs.

What I don't understand is, why does the upper layer *need* to support
whiteouts in order to be mounted rw? If it doesn't you can't create
whiteouts, fine, but you can still alter files in the lower layer or
write new ones.

I have removed this limitation in my private kernel sources (just a small
patch) and it works fine for me. Maybe I should send-pr this?

Bye, Rolf