Subject: Re: Hesiod thoughts
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@telstra.com.au>
From: Data In~rte~vgri}ity EnginNO CARRIER <greywolf@defender.VAS.viewlogic.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/24/1995 09:51:02
#define AUTHOR "lukem@telstra.com.au (Luke Mewburn)"

/*
 * As to the '+' support, it's simple. There's a service called "compat",
 * which is the only valid service for that database, which allows the
 * underlying code to do the work. For example, for the database "passwd",
 * the "files" implementation ignores the '+', the "nis" implementation
 * just looks up the passwd map, and "compat" gives you the current
 * functionality. If you want to lookup in files then nis without using
 * '+', the nsswitch.conf entry is:
 * 	passwd: files nis
 * If you like the current (sunos 4.x style) support, use:
 * 	passwd: compat
 *
 * Rather simple really.

[The master's staff swung and caught the grey wolf upside the head (*WHAP*)
 and he was suddenly enlightened.]

Okay, I get it now.

I like the idea of the stuff being done on the next dispatch.  However,
doesn't this mean that ypbind and nisbind would now be obsolete, and
we would now just end up with a superclient called 'nsbind' (Name Service
Binder)?  We'd need to centralize the lookup service provider, else everyone
has to be running hesd AND nisd AND ypbind.  The only one which is not
strictly necessary is named, as you can have forwarding.

[I just thought of calling it dnsbind or dnsd (for Dynamic Name Service
Daemon), but that might be misleading.]

 *
 * The underlying code doesn't hardcode any of the database names. As
 * mentioned above, the only enforcement is that "compat" is the only
 * service allowed on a line if it is used. You can then implement your
 * own "compat" code for any database to take advantage of this rule.
 *
 * I'm going to put my money where my mouth is and release the nsswitch
 * code after 1.1 is released (because it makes a great 'reference
 * point'). If the code is suitable, it should be put in the libc source,
 * since it doesn't break anything that people currently want, but gives
 * more flexibility to those who need it.
 *
 *
 * --
 * Luke Mewburn <luke.mewburn@itg.telstra.com.au>
 * "Concealment is never as hard as people think, you must understand that. It's
 *  action while hiding that's the hard part."
 *                                -- Coyote, in Kim Stanley Robinson's `Green Mars'
 *

Ain't *that* the truth!

 */

#undef AUTHOR	/* "lukem@telstra.com.au (Luke Mewburn)" */

				--*greywolf;
--
I want to upgrade my system from Solaris 2.0 to 4.4 BSD.