Subject: Re: Hesiod thoughts
To: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
From: Data In~rte~vgri}ity EnginNO CARRIER <greywolf@defender.VAS.viewlogic.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/23/1995 15:12:47
[I wrote a whole bunch of stuff about a -lhesiod kind of thing, to which
 the reply came: ]

#define AUTHOR "mike.long@analog.com (Mike Long)"

/*
 * What about binary packages?  Shared executables built on hesiod-based
 * systems wouldn't work on non-hesiod systems, unless the non-hesiod
 * system had a do-nothing libhesiod.so.* .  Shared executables built on
 * non-hesiod systems wouldn't load properly on hesiod systems, because
 * the hes_getpw* symbols would be unresolved.

A sharex built on a hesiod system would run fine because the non-
hesiod system would have a nop libhesiod.so.* as you surmised above.
Build on a non-hesiod system would also run fine if a nop libhesiod
were in place.

What I meant by "do-nothing" (in your words) was to have the hes_getpw*
stuff present as stubroutines, while I think you presumed that I would
not even have a libhesiod present or that the library would be totally
empty.

(egad!  What am I *doing*?)

Yow.  This is all starting to make the nsswitch stuff look more appealing
to the senses.

 *
 * (This is all AFAIK, of course.)
 * --
 * Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>           http://www.shore.net/~mikel
 * VLSI Design Engineer         finger mikel@shore.net for PGP public key
 * Analog Devices, CPD Division          CCBF225E7D3F7ECB2C8F7ABB15D9BE7B
 * Norwood, MA 02062 USA                assert(*this!=opinionof(Analog));
 *
 */

#undef AUTHOR	/* "mike.long@analog.com (Mike Long)" */

				--*greywolf;
--
Assignment:  Think about and expound upon the possibilities of these two
questions.  What would the world be like today if