Subject: Re: Hesiod thoughts
To: None <greywolf@captech.com>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/23/1995 17:52:18
>Date: Mon, 23 Oct 95 10:13:04 PDT
>From: greywolf@defender.VAS.viewlogic.com (Missing - presumed fed.)

>So why not just include the hesiod mods into getpwent() in such a way that
>they call the hes_getpw* routines, which could be in a separate library?
>If HESIOD is not defined, the hes_getpw* routines do nothing, i.e.

>Adding library link flags is something of a pain, and doesn't look entirely
>elegant, but it does make it a bit more modular than would otherwise happen,
>and since hesiod is the most concrete example NetBSD has of a potential
>module -- or "package", if you prefer -- I'll take the extra flags over
>"make lib" or "make world" any day.
>
>Or Did I Miss Something Here? [TM]

What about binary packages?  Shared executables built on hesiod-based
systems wouldn't work on non-hesiod systems, unless the non-hesiod
system had a do-nothing libhesiod.so.* .  Shared executables built on
non-hesiod systems wouldn't load properly on hesiod systems, because
the hes_getpw* symbols would be unresolved.

(This is all AFAIK, of course.)
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>           http://www.shore.net/~mikel
Norwood, MA 02062 USA                assert(*this!=opinionof(Analog));