Subject: Re: Messy, messy upgrade from 1.0->current!
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Sean Doran <smd@chops.icp.net>
List: current-users
Date: 10/23/1995 10:48:16
In message <m0sxXZi-0000G4C@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com>, Alistair G. Crooks writes:

| The following instructions have helped other people upgrade to -current

They were very helpful; there was just one minor change,
as I noted earlier.

| [The last update of these instructions was at Wed Aug  9 16:58:24 BST 1995]

| # Bernd Wiserner says that the ld.so that will be built next will
| # work only with libc.so.12.0, not with libc.so.12.3
| # His instructions to make a working ld.so follow:
| # Do NOT run ldconfig while doing the following 7 lines ...
| (cd /usr/src/include ; make && make install)
| cp -p /usr/libexec/ld.so /usr/libexec/ld.so.good

add:

cp -p /usr/bin/ld /usr/bin/ld.good

| (cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/ld ; make && make install && make cleandir)
| cp -p /usr/libexec/ld.so.good /usr/libexec/ld.so

cp -p /usr/bin/ld.good /usr/bin/ld

| (cd /usr/src/lib/libcurses ; make && make install)
| # otherwise libterm won't be made correctly - invalid prototype
| (cd /usr/src/lib ; make && make install && make cleandir)
| # Then build ld.so again ...
| (cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/ld ; make && make install && make cleandir)
| # Thanks, Bernd...

Everything else works just nicely.  I still have
a problem with /usr/src/lib/libm choking with:

"Makefile", line 110: Missing dependency operator
Fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue

but otherwise the bulk of the upgrade went without a hitch.

	Sean.
- --
Sean Doran <smd@sprint.net>