Subject: Problem (bug?) in union mount
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Trevin Beattie <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/19/1995 07:54:59
I'm running the i386 -current dated Sep 30, 1995.  I have a Gnu source tree
on /usr/src/Gnu union-mounted below ~/Gnu.  Many of Gnu's sources have odd
ownership information (i.e., not root:wheel) and permissions, which had been
causing me severe lockup/reboot problems until I discovered the source.

If a new directory in the source tree, say /usr/src/Gnu/gnuchess, doesn't
give me execute permissions for that directory, and I try to ls that
directory at the mount point ~/Gnu/gnuchess, all terminal I/O will halt
while the system accesses the hard drive for 5-10 seconds, after which the
computer reboots.

My system is an AMD 486DX4-100, 16MB RAM, using an Adaptec 1542CF and
Quantum 1.8GB hard drive, if any of that is important.
Trevin Beattie          "Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards,     for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."
      {:->                                     --unknown