Subject: Re: ifconfig alias routing problems...
To: Herb Peyerl <>
From: Jan-Hinrich Fessel <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/19/1995 13:08:19
In message <>you write:
> Peter Seebach <>  wrote:
>  > I have an interface (le0) configured as  I then
>  > ifconfig le0 alias
>  > ...This seems fine.  I can't ping the address .9, but
> I've noticed this with a machine I have serving N web-domains.  It can't
> see any of its aliases even though the rest of the world can.

I can get through just fine, thoug that maybe because my router knows me:

zappa# ifconfig ed0
        inet netmask 0xfffffff8 broadcast
zappa# ping -c 1
PING ( 56 data bytes
64 bytes from icmp_seq=0 ttl=254 time=4.357 ms

--- ping statistics ---
round-trip min/avg/max = 4.357/4.357/4.357 ms
zappa# traceroute
traceroute to (, 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
 1 (  3.734 ms  2.606 ms  2.513 ms
 2 (  3.961 ms  3.691 ms  3.65 ms

>  > route add localhost
>  > fixes that.
> That seems like the wrong answer... I suspect you'd get all kinds of
> weirdness happening as a result of that.

This should be the right answer, at least as long as the routing is stupid
eough not being able to figure out localhost routes for itself, i.e. there is
a "route add <ipaddress> localhost" in any of the system startup files...

 					Tragbar ist, was nicht herunterfaellt.