Subject: Re: What about old talk protocol?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael L. Hitch <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/19/1995 08:46:02
On Oct 19,  9:54am, Frank van der Linden wrote:
} Quoting John C. Hayward,
} >    Some other systems (in particular a SUN I am trying to talk with) uses
} > talk not ntalk.
} Unfortunately, Sun still uses the old talk protocol, which I have been told
} is broken in a couple of ways. I don't think the old 'talk' was encumbered,

  One of the big problems with old talk protocol is that it is not byte-order
independant.  A VAX or i386 system will not be able to communicate with
a Sun system running the old talk because of this.

Michael L. Hitch			INTERNET:
Computer Consultant
Information Technology Center