Subject: Re: querying/updating PR's?
To: None <rafal@scofflaw.banyan.com>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/16/1995 18:46:40
>From: Rafal Boni <rafal@scofflaw.banyan.com>
>Date: Mon, 16 Oct 1995 14:55:12 -0400

>So, the moral of the story is, I don't have any query-pr docs, and don't know
>how to re-find it in the PR database.  Any pointers to how to interface w/the
>PR system @NetBSD.ORG appreciated.

Send an email to query-pr@netbsd.org with an empty body and the
options to give to query-pr in the Subject: header.

To get a summary, send a message with '-q' in the Subject: to the
query-pr address.  You will get a long list of open PRs.  When you
find your PR, e.g.

misc/666: my system is possessed!

send a message with '-F 666' in the Subject: to the query-pr address.

I've included the query-pr manpage below.  Clip and enjoy.

#! /bin/sh
# This is a shell archive.  Remove anything before this line, then unpack
# it by saving it into a file and typing "sh file".  To overwrite existing
# files, type "sh file -c".  You can also feed this as standard input via
# unshar, or by typing "sh <file", e.g..  If this archive is complete, you
# will see the following message at the end:
#		"End of shell archive."
# Contents:  query-pr.1
# Wrapped by mike@cthulhu on Mon Oct 16 18:38:36 1995
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/ucb ; export PATH
if test -f 'query-pr.1' -a "${1}" != "-c" ; then
  echo shar: Will not clobber existing file \"'query-pr.1'\"
else
echo shar: Extracting \"'query-pr.1'\" \(6452 characters\)
sed "s/^X//" >'query-pr.1' <<'END_OF_FILE'
X.\" Copyright (c) 1993 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
X.\" See section COPYING for conditions for redistribution .in +0.9i
X.TH query-pr 1 "October 1993" "GNATS 3.2" "GNATS User Utilities"
X.de BP
X.sp
X.ti -.2i
X\(**
X..
X.SH NAME
Xquery-pr \- query problem reports in the
X.B GNATS
Xdatabase
X.SH SYNOPSIS
X.hy 0
X.na
X.B query\-pr
X.RS
X[
X.B \-c \fIcategory\fB | \-\-category=\fIcategory\fB
X]
X.br
X[
X.B \-s \fIstate\fB | \-\-state=\fIstate\fB
X]
X.br
X[
X.B \-r \fIresponsible\fB | \-\-responsible=\fIresponsible\fB
X]
X.br
X[
X.B \-S \fIsubmitter\fB | \-\-submitter=\fIsubmitter\fB
X]
X.br
X[
X.B \-C [\fIyes\fB|\fIno\fB] | \-\-confidential[=\fIyes\fB|\fIno\fB]
X]
X.br
X[
X.B \-e \fIseverity\fB | \-\-severity=\fIseverity\fB
X]
X.br
X[
X.B \-p \fIpriority\fB | \-\-priority=\fIpriority\fB
X]
X.br
X[
X.B \-O \fIname\fB | \-\-originator=\fIname\fB
X]
X.br
X[
X.B \-t \fItext\fP | \-\-text=\fItext\fP
X]
X.br
X[
X.B \-m \fItext\fP | \-\-multitext=\fItext\fP
X]
X.br
X[
X.B \-R | \-\-restricted
X]
X.br
X[
X.B \-F | \-\-full
X] [
X.B \-q | \-\-summary
X] [
X.B \-i | \-\-sql
X]
X.br
X[
X.B \-P | \-\-print\-path
X]
X.br
X[
X.B \-d \fIdirectory\fB | \-\-directory=\fIdirectory\fB
X]
X.br
X[
X.B \-o \fIoutfile\fB | \-\-output=\fIoutfile\fB
X]
X.br
X[
X.B \-V | \-\-version
X]
X[
X.B \-h | \-\-help
X]
X.br
X[
X.I gnats-id
X.I .\|.\|.
X]
X.ad b
X.hy 1
X.SH DESCRIPTION
XQueries the
X.B GNATS
Xdatabase according to options and displays Problem Reports on standard output.
XIf you specify particular PR numbers (with the
X.IR gnats-id .\|.\|.
Xarguments),
X.B query\-pr
Xrestricts its search to only those PRs.
XUsing
X.B query\-pr
Xwith no options or
X.I gnats-id .\|.\|.
Xarguments displays a summary of every PR in the database.
X.LP
XAll options are connected with a logical
X.BR AND .
XFor example,
X.RS
X.B query\-pr \-\-category=\fIcategory\fB \-\-responsible=\fIresponsible\fR
X.RE
Xonly prints PRs which have a
X.B >Category:
Xfield of
X.I category
Xand a
X.B >Responsible:
Xfield of
X.IR responsible .
X.SH OPTIONS
X.TP 0.5i
X.B \-c \fIcategory\fB, \-\-category=\fIcategory\fB
XSearch only for PRs with a
X.B >Category:
Xfield of
X.IR category .
X.TP
X.B \-s \fIstate\fB, \-\-state=\fIstate\fB
XSearch only for PRs with a
X.B >State:
Xfield of
X.IR state .
X.TP
X.B \-r \fIresponsible\fB, \-\-responsible=\fIresponsible\fB
XSearch only for PRs with a
X.B >Responsible:
Xfield of
X.IR responsible .
X.TP
X.B \-S \fIsubmitter\fB, \-\-submitter=\fIsubmitter\fB
XSearch only for PRs with a
X.B >Submitter\-Id:
Xfield of
X.IR submitter .
X.TP
X.B \-C [\fIyes\fB|\fIno\fB], \-\-confidential[=\fIyes\fB|\fIno\fB]
XSearch only for PRs with a
X.B >Confidential:
Xfield of either
X.I yes
Xor
X.IR no ,
Xrespectively.  If this option is not given, all PRs will be eligible
Xfor the search, regardless of their confidentiality.
X.TP
X.B \-e \fIseverity\fB, \-\-severity=\fIseverity\fB
XSearch only for PRs with a
X.B >Severity:
Xfield of
X.IR severity .
X.TP
X.B \-p \fIpriority\fB, \-\-priority=\fIpriority\fB
XSearch only for PRs with a
X.B >Priority:
Xfield of
X.IR priority .
X.TP
X.B \-O \fIname\fB, \-\-originator=\fIname\fB
XSearch for \fIname\fP in the
X.B >Originator:
Xfield of each PR.  \fIname\fP need only be enough to uniquely identify the
Xperson.  For example, to find "Steve Williams", you could use a
X\fIname\fP of "Steve W".
XUse another search option (e.g.
X.B \-\-state\c
X\&), to speed the search.  Using
X.B \-O
Xby itself can be slow with a large database.  You must enclose the
Xname with double-quotes to make sure your shell passes it as a single
Xstring, and not as separate arguments to
X.BR query\-pr .
X.TP
X.B \-t \fItext\fP, \-\-text=\fItext\fP
XSearch single-line text fields in all PRs for the regular
Xexpression \fItext\fP.
X.TP
X.B \-m \fItext\fP, \-\-multitext=\fItext\fP
XSearch multiple-line text fields in all PRs for the regular
Xexpression \fItext\fP.
X.TP
X.B \-R, \-\-restricted
XOmit from the search any PR marked
X.BR ">Confidential: yes" .
XThis is equivalent to specifying
X.BR \-\-confidential=no .
XThis also disallows the use of the options
X.br
X.BI --outfile= outfile
Xand
X.BI --directory= directory\fR.
X.TP
X.B \-F, \-\-full
XPrints the full Problem Report rather than just a summary.
X.TP
X.B \-q, \-\-summary
XGive a short summary line for PRs.
X.TP
X.B \-i, \-\-sql
XPrints data in a format readable by a relational database (see
Xthe GNATS manual
X.I Keeping Track
Xfor a full explanation).
X.TP
X.B \-P, \-\-print\-path
XPrint the path used to find each PR.
X.TP
X.B \-d \fIdirectory\fB, \-\-directory=\fIdirectory\fB
XChanges the search directory to
X.IR directory .
X.TP
X.B \-o \fIoutfile\fB, \-\-output=\fIoutfile\fB
XPrint all output to
X.I outfile
Xrather than to the standard output.
X.TP
X.B \-V, \-\-version
XPrints the version number of
X.BR query\-pr .
X.TP
X.B \-h, \-\-help
XPrints a brief usage summary.
X.SH QUERY BY MAIL
X.B query-pr
Xcan also be accessed by electronic mail, if your version
Xof GNATS is configured for this.  To use this feature, simply send
Xmail to the address
X.BI query-pr@ your-site
Xwith command line arguments or options in the
X.B Subject:
Xline of the mail header.  GNATS replies to your mail with the results
Xof your query.  The default settings for the
X.B query-pr
Xmail server are shown below; to override the
X.B --state
Xparameter, specify
X.BI --state= state
Xin the
X.B Subject:
Xline of the mail header.  You can not query on confidential Problem
XReports by mail.
X.TP 1i
X.B --restricted --state="open|analyzed|feedback|suspended"
X.SH "SEE ALSO"
X.I Keeping Track: Managing Messages With GNATS
X(also installed as the GNU Info file
X.BR gnats.info )
Xand
X.I Reporting Problems Using send-pr
X(also installed as the GNU Info file
X.BR send-pr.info ).
X.LP
X.BR gnats (l),
X.BR send-pr (1),
X.BR edit-pr (1),
X.BR file-pr (8),
X.BR queue-pr (8),
X.BR mkcat (8),
X.BR rmcat (8),
X.BR gen-index (8),
X.BR mkdist (8).
X.SH COPYING
XCopyright (c) 1993 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
X.PP
XPermission is granted to make and distribute verbatim copies of
Xthis manual provided the copyright notice and this permission notice
Xare preserved on all copies.
X.PP
XPermission is granted to copy and distribute modified versions of this
Xmanual under the conditions for verbatim copying, provided that the
Xentire resulting derived work is distributed under the terms of a
Xpermission notice identical to this one.
X.PP
XPermission is granted to copy and distribute translations of this
Xmanual into another language, under the above conditions for modified
Xversions, except that this permission notice may be included in
Xtranslations approved by the Free Software Foundation instead of in
Xthe original English.
END_OF_FILE
if test 6452 -ne `wc -c <'query-pr.1'`; then
    echo shar: \"'query-pr.1'\" unpacked with wrong size!
fi
# end of 'query-pr.1'
fi
echo shar: End of shell archive.
exit 0

--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>           http://www.shore.net/~mikel
Norwood, MA 02062 USA                assert(*this!=opinionof(Analog));