Subject: Re: Before and after the 1.1 release
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
From: Stefan Grefen <grefen@convex.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/10/1995 11:44:49
In message <10516.813333172@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>  Chris G Demetriou wrote:
> > > 1) Its configuration model is somewhat wrong.  It should be more like
> > > the current SCSI code, where you have something like:
> > >
> > > pcic (PCMCIA controller chip) -->
> > > pcmciabus (crossbar) -->
> > > ed, ep, etc. (PCMCIA devices)
> > >

> > It's not there because it would have required to change the config program.
> > Thats a thing I avoided for an 'unofficial' modification. It's the right
> > thing to do if it's in the main tree.
>
> In what way would this have required a change to 'config'?

To enable/disable addition of device specific information in pcmcia-code
and to enable PCMCIA specific stuff in the device drivers if there
a device configured for the pcmciabus.
That's what my PCMCIA_{ED,COM,EP,etc} defines did in the pre-current version.
They where not popular and so they were removed during the port to -current.

The following would apply to plug and pray also.
For all the automagicaly detected devices on the bus you need some
info about the device (for pcmcia device-name, manufacturer, version)
and special enabling/disabling functions. This needed to be compiled into
the device-driver and a reference to them in the pcmcia-code.
If you do this unconditionally you have have configure all devices which have
pcmcia-extensions to link the kernel.

I don't know how to do this without changing config.

Stefan

--
Stefan Grefen                          Convex Computer GmbH, Frankfurt, Germany
grefen@convex.com		       Phone: +49-69-665270