Subject: Re: Suggestions for easing 1.1 i386 installations
To: Jordan K. Hubbard <>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/10/1995 09:24:12

> I guess the bottom line is this: Are you guys firmly set in the
> direction you want to go vis-a-vis installation tools?  I've done 3

I don't know the answer to that.... :-)

If you are interested in having a look at my config managment tool,
you may find it useful.  IMHO it _is_ the framework you spoke of.  The
big advantage of my approach is that your install/setup scripts can be
much simpler because:

does not need to know anything about anything but i386 disk
systems... on FreeBSD.
Same goes for

But newfs'ing and populating the filesystems which is reasonably
generic can be handled by

and the most generic stuff done by

I've been using this tool to setup SunOS, Solaris and of course NetBSD
systems for some time now. If you run it with the ksh it should also
handle HP-UX ok (/bin/sh too broken).

Anyway, if you are interested check out:

look for:	slides for my talk tonight.
config-sh.tar.gz	the tool itself.
configs-example.tar.gz	an example configs tree.

eventually there will also be a describing the thing in
more detail.

Note, the above directory is mirrored at:

which is on a much faster link, so look there first.