Subject: Re: gated, routed, etc... help!
To: None <windsor@synopsys.com>
From: Neil J. McRae <neil@demon.net>
List: current-users
Date: 10/07/1995 21:13:15
> I have full control of a class C address space (yes, I couldn't get just 10
> addresses), I will do my own primary DNS, and the ISP will provide secondary.
> I've already invested in DNS/BIND literature, and have a little experience
> doing this, so it's not a major concern.
>
> My NetBSD PC will do routing, and I can assume that the configuration on
> the ISP end will work properly.  (No ISP horror stories, please :> )
>
> I will need to route from sl0 (ISP side) to ed0 (my network).  Any
> suggestions, config files, ... are welcome.  (help!)

It's simple and you don't need routed or gated.

add

options         GATEWAY         # IP packet forwarding

to your kernel configuration. [Actually you might not need this]

secondly I will assume that you are routeing the other machines through
ethernet. Your NetBSD machine will have 2 IP addresses:

The Slip Interface, I'd recommend x.x.x.129
The Ethernet Interface, I'd recommend x.x.x.67

Point the default route at your netbsd machine's ethernet address for all
the other machines on your network.

> Also, would cslip be better than slip or no?  (What's a good slip package
> considering that I'm going to be up 24/7?)

I've not used the slip or cslip on NetBSD. I do like PPP on netbsd though.

Regards,
Neil.
--
Neil J. McRae.                                            Demon Internet
neil@demon.net