Subject: Re: Yet another BSD, is it necessary?
To: Volker A. Brandt <volker@iam.uni-bonn.de>
From: Greg Hudson <ghudson@MIT.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 10/06/1995 13:41:06
> I find it laudable that you did try. At least you have alerted the
> community early that we are to face yet another argument against
> NetBSD being shoved into our faces by gloating Linux bigots.

Can we stop worrying about this, please?  "Keeping up with the
Torvalds" is hardly a reason to make policy decisions.  I think it's
good that there are several free Unix implementations to choose from,
each with their own design priorities.  (It's a shame that licensing
gets in the way of *BSD using Linux code, but oh well.)  If advocates
from one or the other camp want to be childish and sneer at each
other, they ought to be ignored.

On the original topic: if Theo and the core team can't communicate
productively, perhaps it's best that Theo release his code separately,
and then the NetBSD core team can integrate his changes.  It's more
work that way, certainly, but it's also a lot of work if people have
to spend a lot of time on personal disagreements.