Subject: Re: Yet another BSD, is it necessary?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/06/1995 13:29:15
I am getting really tired of this thread.   I do not appreciate seeing
people vilified for their negative reactions to Theo's behaviour.   I
don't think there's anybody on the core team (for which I do not
speak) who objects to having reasonable people participate in the
development of NetBSD.   I haven't heard anything from the core team
to the effect that they don't want Theo's changes.

But Theo is not a reasonable person.  When I first got involved with
NetBSD, I gave up almost immediately and decided to do a splinter O.S.
Why?  Because Theo was unwilling to compromise, and because any
disagreement, no matter how trivial, with Theo's way of doing things
was considered a personal insult to Theo, and was responded to
accordingly.  I rapidly became tired of receiving personal insults in
my mail every time I tried to work out a compromise on some important
issue.   Theo's way was the right way, no matter how impractical it
might have been.

Sure, he's brilliant.  NetBSD could benefit from his work.  But it
won't.  And it's not the fault of the core team, who showed the
patience of saints in putting up with him as long as they did.  It's
Theo's own damned fault for being so sensitive, for being unwilling to
make do with the resources at hand, and for pushing the project two
steps backward for every step he pushed it forward.  There are equally
brilliant people in the NetBSD crowd who are still having trouble
getting past the chilling effect that his participation in the core
team had on their participation in the project.  That kind of help we
do not need.

			       _MelloN_