Subject: Re: SUP is failing...
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Out of his mind <tv@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/06/1995 15:17:01
> >> You should be able to find one closer to the west coast, though.
>
> John> I always hear that phrase in relation to FTP servers and the
> John> like.  But I'll note that in getting packets from my home in
> John> Boxborough MA to where I work in Westborough MA, a 20 mile trip
> John> as the crow flies, usually involves a trip through Washington
> John> DC, and there was one week when the furthest router was in San
> John> Francisco...

I caught this thread a little late but requoted it.

Sprintlink and MCI have been having serious routing problems for a couple
months now. A friend of mine runs a .com address off of Sprintlink but a
half-mile from the University of Florida campus (off of MCI). Before the
problems arose (turnaround in Jacksonville or Atlanta), his address was 7
hops from the university. Now it is a minimum of 14, and I have seen it go
as high as 31 hops--*for one-half mile*. Washington, Sanfran, Atlanta, and
just about any other major routing center is in the traceroute.

>From what I've heard, the problem is caused by not passing routing tables
correctly between each major backbone provider. A number of problem
tickets have been open for weeks because of this, and hopefully we'll see
*some* improvement soon... (crossing fingers tightly)

=====
== Todd Vierling (tv@pobox.com): In cyberspace no one can hear you scream. ==
=== Plug: I do freelance C/Perl *IX programming and WWW design. E-mail me ===
=== Vierling's Law: The revolution won't be televised; it will be posted. ===