Subject: Problems with PGP.
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG, current-users@NetBSD.ORG, pgp-bugs@mit.edu>
From: David Gilbert <dgilbert@pci.on.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 10/05/1995 08:34:24
	As I've said before, I have a Sun4/260.  While I have been
trying to get various things like the video and tape drives supported,
I have been amassing my normal (fairly large) suite of PD, GNU and
other software.  PGP is one of the things that I consider essential.

	Firstly, the 'netbsd' configuration option for PGP should
really say 'netbsd-386' since it promptly tries to compile the 386
assembly code for some portion of the inner workings of PGP.  It is
entirely possible that a pentium and a pentium optimizing compiler
might do better, so it really should be labeled.

	Secondly, when I did use the sun4gcc configuration, I got a
PGP that will not decrypt what it encrypts.  I generated my own key,
encrypted a file for that key, and then got the following:

[1:25:325]dgilbert@sol:~> pgp log.pgp
Pretty Good Privacy(tm) 2.6.2 - Public-key encryption for the masses.
(c) 1990-1994 Philip Zimmermann, Phil's Pretty Good Software. 11 Oct 94
Uses the RSAREF(tm) Toolkit, which is copyright RSA Data Security, Inc.
Distributed by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Export of this software may be restricted by the U.S. government.
Current time: 1995/10/05 12:32 GMT

File is encrypted.  Secret key is required to read it.
Key for user ID: David Gilbert <dgilbert@mercury.pci.on.ca>
1024-bit key, Key ID 1C81B419, created 1995/10/05

You need a pass phrase to unlock your RSA secret key.
Enter pass phrase: Pass phrase is good.  Just a moment.....
Decompression error.  Probable corrupted input.

For a usage summary, type:  pgp -h
For more detailed help, consult the PGP User's Guide.
[1:26:326]dgilbert@sol:~>

	This doesn't seem to be the behaviour that I should see.
Maybe later in the week I'll try using SunOS to compile it and see if
it runs under NetBSD.

Dave.

|Mail:      dgilbert@pci.on.ca                |  equal if and only if they |
|http://www.pci.on.ca/~dgilbert               |   are precisely opposite.  |