Subject: Re: Yet another BSD, is it necessary?
To: Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se>
From: Rob Healey <rhealey@kas.helios.mn.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/05/1995 18:58:16
> As I believe this is a bad thing for the NetBSD project as a whole I'd
> like that this splinter-project did not happen.  Therefore I'd like
> core to go to extreme lengths to not make this happen.  I'd put this
> work on a higher priority than 1.1, when it's ready, it's ready.  I
> also ask Theo to reconsider his last positions in this dispute for
> our, the users, sake.

	More important that 1.1? Nah. My take is let people go where
	they feel they can do the most good. NetBSD isn't a product
	it's a community effort. If people want to form a new
	community more power to 'em!

	What I hope DOESN'T happen is piss fights over code and
	code hoarding. All *BSD can learn from the others and the
	code should pass freely between them all without a GNU
	virus, or WORSE, attached. i.e. we don't want the situation
	like we have with Linux where people can take *BSD code, change
	some lines, copyleft it and thus prevent us from reintegrating
	it in to *BSD because it now has a restrictive license on it.

	I would ask that names like "openBSD" be avoided like the plague
	since they sound like ignorant PC marketing commercial firm names. B^(.

	So, I have no problem with more *BSD's but I think NetBSD should
	concentrate on two things, one related to the other:

	1: Get 1.1 out the door
	2: Get reliable sites for ftp, sup, mail, etc. (Related to #1)

		-Rob