Subject: Re: sun-lamp CVS commits
To: Gordon Ross <email@example.com>
From: Head Anarchy Conquest Knight Esquire of the Realm <greywolf@defender.VAS.viewlogic.com>
Date: 10/04/1995 16:26:13
#define AUTHOR "firstname.lastname@example.org ("Gordon W. Ross")"
[Jason Thorpe said...]
* > I must say, out of all of the above installation options, FTP is by far
* > my favorite ... For people who have access to a network, all you need is
* > to d/l the miniroot media, and connect to ftp.NetBSD.ORG or a mirror for
* > the actual distribution :-) (Ok, well I haven't tested _that_ part yet,
* > but it's sure nifty on my little network at home! :-)
* Yeah, that's cool. I wondered if there might be a way to use FTP
* but not have to store the tar images locally. Would this work?
* # mkfifo /dev/pipe
* # tar xfp /dev/pipe &
* # ftp ...
* ftp> get some_tar_image /dev/pipe
* I haven't tried it with FTP yet...
Yes, there is a way to ftp without storing the tar images locally:
# ftp ...
ftp> cd right_place
ftp> lcd local_right_place
ftp> get this-file "|tar xvfp -"
[repeat as necessary[
#undef AUTHOR /* "email@example.com ("Gordon W. Ross")" */
America is quite possibly the only country to go from barbarism to
decadence without the requisite intervening period of civilisation.