Subject: Testing before the next release of NetBSD (installation woes)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Guenther Grau <s_grau@ira.uka.de>
List: current-users
Date: 09/29/1995 16:21:59
Hi,

after the announcement of the next release of NetBSD, I wanted to
install NetBSD-current on my x86-PC to help testing and making
this release (more :-) bugfree.

I am running NetBSD on an Amiga and I am quite familiar with Unix
in general.

My config on the PC:

i486sx25 w/64kb cache, 12 MB RAM, ISA, one floppy-drive.
IDE-conner hd 125MB (first disc, still DOS installed)
IDE-conner hd 540MB (second disc, still Linux installed)
Adaptek AHA-1515 SCSI-controller (AIC-6360 base w/bootroms)
1 GB IBM SCSI-II hd (I want to dedicate the whole disk to NetBSD)
1 SCSI CD-ROM
1 SCSI DAT-streamer

I tried to install NetBSD-1.0 on this PC. Booting was fine after I
replaced a faulty floppy. I followed the installation instructions and
didn't partition my hd. I just booted from the floppies and told the
installation script to make 1 root partition, 1 swap, and use the rest
for the 3rd partition, to be mounted on /usr. So far, everything
worked out fine. After that, I wanted to install the kernel on the hd,
so I could boot from the hd and install the rest of the packages from
the single floppy drive. After the kernel_copy I rebooted from the
floppy. Entering hd(1,a)/netbsd at the boot-prompt from the floppy
doesn't work. It complains about a bad disklabel. I tried to install
things from the DAT, which I wrote under Linux on the same PC/drive,
but this doesn't work either. It finds the files on the tape, but
corrupts the during reading, i.e. only the first (very small) part ist
correct, the rest isn't. The tape reads fine when read under Linux (w/
tar, same version on both os). Trying a more recent
snapshot from around 1995MAR16 made by cgd has a different result. The
supplied kernel boots fine, but after I answered all the installation
questions, the kernel complains that aic6360(0:6:0) times out,
although it finds all devices correctly when it boots.

Well, to cut the long story short, up to now, I haven't been able to
install any flavor of NetBSD on my PC. It would be nice, if someone
could provide kernel&installation floppies made from a current system.
It would be even better if a complete snapshot would be made, but I
think I can upgrade to -current, once I have NetBSD up and running
on my PC.

Thanx in advance,

  Guenther