Subject: Re: TTYs and 7E1
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@teeri.jmp.fi>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@edsi.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/28/1995 22:09:34
On Thu, 28 Sep 1995, Jukka Marin wrote:

> [discussion of "layering" sgtty on top of termios deleted.]
>
> I guess there's some reason why this can't be done, so go ahead and tell
> me ;-)

Well, I'm getting out of my league as to whether it can or can't be
done, but I'm not sure I'd want to encourage poor code to live on.  Your
argument could be applied equally well to the setreuid(), I think; I'm
not convinced.  The only package I've had to put any significant work into
porting was nn-6.5b[23], and even that was a 30 minute job.

> No matter how easy porting applications may be, I still wish the existing
> sgtty stuff worked.  Even if it forced the TTY to 8N1 would be fine..

Well, 8N1 would be fine for you, but it would break someone else, no
doubt.  We could discuss/argue about majority rule, I suppose, but it
would be rather pointless. :-)

BTW, I've historically been infuriated on a regular basis by sgtty.  It's
not that it's just NetBSD that acts this way.  Also, it's not like
there's much software that doesn't support termios these days.  The whole
issue is sticky enough that I'd rather leave the burden on the developers
to update their software to something relatively modern.  The termios
interface isn't exactly on the cutting edge anymore...

--scott