Subject: Upgrade instructions [was Re: -current mkdep failure]
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Alistair G. Crooks <agc@uts.amdahl.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/28/1995 01:31:02
> > But really, if you're trying to do it this way, you should read the
> > upgrading guide thats posted here from time to time. There are other
> > dependencies and things need to be done in the right order.
>
> Assuming you're talking about Alistair's recently-reposted step-by-step
> instructions, I assume that this needs to be updated yet again due to the
> even-more-recent changes to the crt0/ld.so interface that pk mentioned, yes?

Yes.

> Anyone want to fix Alistair's last set of upgrade instructions and repost?

I'll do it as soon as I get the sources that include pk's changes -
that means the tar_files of September 30th.  However, if the code
freeze is in two weeks time, I suspect that there will be binary
snapshots made fairly soon, for most of the architectures, and so I'm
not sure of the need for getting the source-upgrade instructions done
yet again.  Having said that, watch this space...

And, for i386 folks, whilst I'm here, Greg Hudson has informed me that
the changes I made to the autoconfig code to recognise an aha1542 as
an aha1542 and not a bt card caused him problems with two i386 boxes
in his labs.  Sorry about that, folks, but it works fine for me on the
limited set of equipment I have here to check it.  Pending an answer
from mycroft, who seems to have done a Captain Oates, I strongly urge
you not to use the autoconf part of the patch (Mike Long tells me that
the bt detection stuff in bt742a.c works fine with his bt card, so I
guess that part works OK).

Alistair
--
Alistair G. Crooks (agc@uts.amdahl.com)                    +44 125 234 6377
Amdahl European HQ, Dogmersfield Park, Hartley Wintney, Hants RG27 8TE, UK.