Subject: Re: sup.netbsd.org behind firewall?
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
From: Rob Healey <rhealey@kas.helios.mn.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/26/1995 08:27:39
> > > It's also had a _LOT_ of software problems -- indeed, with a few
> > > execptions, i'd say that most of what's been dismissed as 'hardware
> > > problems' _have_ been software bugs.
> > >
> > 	Then why not beg for a replacement or donations for a replacement?
> > 	It seems STUPID to put up with this, it's costing time for alot
> > 	of people who have little enough free time to donate to the
> > 	cause... B^(.
>
> Hm?  Seems to me that cgd believes many of what were previously
> believed to be hardware problems are actually software bugs, doesn't
> it?  How do you "beg for a replacement or donations for a replacement"
> of software bugs?  You mean install a commercial UNIX on sun-lamp? B^)

	NetBSD has been run on large x86 based systems with heavy loads
	with no problems, software problems or not. If sunlamp is still
	down all the time after 1+ years of these problems than either
	it is the wrong x86 setup or the x86 in general has to be replaced
	with a more reliable architecture.

	There's nothing new with sunlamp being down, it's had problems
	for way over a year. I find it hard to believe that it's problems
	are strictly software due to the knowledge of the people involved
	with it. I think it far more likely they were stuck with
	questionable hardware of indetermanite asian rim origin like most
	low cost x86 hardware...

	The point remains, most of the NetBSD work is done on a volunteer
	basis. If sunlamp is down than the volunteer time is spent doing
	other things since updates can't be made.

	If it was a non-problem then why is the mail handled elsewhere?
	The web? Maybe sup should be moved to a more stable system?

	A commercial OS is not the solution. Getting reliable hardware
	and a proper kernel config for sunlamp is.

		-Rob