Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.1 Release Plans
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/25/1995 19:55:51
In article <199509250019.RAA02732@cygnus.com>,
J.T. Conklin <jtc@cygnus.com> wrote:
> Randy> Is there any chance that ncurses and the Vixie's new DNS
> Randy> could make it into this release?
>
> Ncurses, probably not.  I think it will take at least a month to make
> solid, and it's only three weeks until the code freeze.
>
> I talked with Paul Vixie, and he said to wait until the next version
> he releases (I don't know if he was referring to beta27 or the real
> release, I asked for clarification) before integrating into NetBSD.

Since we have several major packages (GCC 2.7.x, ncurses, maybe BIND and
PCMCIA...  anything else?) waiting for integration, how about attempting
to do a 1.2 release focusing on these items, 2-3 months after 1.1 is
released?

If these things are incorporated right after 1.1 and then 1.2 isn't
released for another year, they're going to be out of date by then and
those who can't afford to stary -current will have to wait a long, long
time to get them.

(Incidentally, since it has been a long time since 1.0, I think NetBSD
can get away with calling this release 2.0, if we want to keep up on
major version numbers with you-know-who ;->)