Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.1 Release Plans
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Adam Glass <glass@NetBSD.ORG>
List: current-users
Date: 09/25/1995 18:22:52

> > OK, how about sendmail 8.7, which _is_ official?
>
> That requires only a checkin and a slight change to the
> Makefile. Remember, the development platform for it is 4.4...
>
> Perry

Perry,

This is incorrect.  It requires:
	removing a lot of non-BSD bullshit makefiles, configs, etc.

	dealing with some re-org of the sendmail src tree

	dealing with the fact that NetBSD is ~= 4.4 BSD but often has
	additional system services that sendmail can be configured to use.

Anyway, some of this is handled by the import, some has to be done by
hand.  These can be accomplished by the new sendmail maintainer in a
relatively short period of time.

On a related subject, I personally wouldn't run a 8.x.0 release of
sendmail and have recommended against upgrading at this time.

later,
Adam Glass