Subject: Re: Messy, messy upgrade from 1.0->current!
To: Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@teeri.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 09/24/1995 10:49:34
Jake Hamby writes:

> It's too bad the process of
> getting from 1.0 to current is SO traumatic.  I think that if you don't
> make a new official release soon, a lot of would-be NetBSD users are going
> to tear their hair out and abandon it from the experience...

Well, all I can say (not having used the Sparc port so far) that I never
had such problems.  I was running 1.0 on my A3000 and upgrading to -current
took only a few hours (would have taken even less if I didn't have to make
some disk and partition arrangements at the same time).  I just newfs'd the
disks, untarred the archives and installed a new kernel.  No problems at
all.

I'm not saying seeing NetBSD 1.1 would be a bad thing, no.  I'm just saying
installing -current can be very easy (if youre lucky?). ;)

  -jm

--

                     ---> http://www.jmp.fi/~jmarin/ <---