Subject: Re: Max # of available file s descriptors
To: matthew green <mrg@mame.mu.OZ.AU>
From: David Brownlee <D.K.Brownlee@city.ac.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 09/19/1995 09:41:54
	That is the kernel limit for maximum number of files...
	(I think the original question was for per process)
	Anyway - as far as I know its 2048 per process...

	To set the systemwide total number of files to a million
	# sysctl -w kern.maxfiles=1000000

	To set the current processes limit
	(electron /)164># limit descriptors
	descriptors     64
	(electron /)165># limit descriptors 10000
	(electron /)166># limit descriptors
	descriptors     2048

	looks like it maxes out at 2048 to me! :)

		David/abs

 D.K.Brownlee@city.ac.uk (MIME) +44 171 477 8186  {post,host}master  (abs)
Network Analyst, UCS, City University, Northampton Square, London EC1V 0HB.
        <<< Monochrome - Largest UK Internet BBS - telnet mono.org >>>