Subject: Re: Help -- init : can't exec getty 'none' for port /dev/ttyp?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 09/16/1995 06:23:57
> We are using NetBSD-current 950903 on SS1.  From yesterday, this
> machine has continued showing messages as follows in several few
> minutes :

>         Sep 14 17:21:54  semomi init : can't exec getty 'none' for port /dev/ttyp0 : No such file or directory.
>         Sep 14 17:21:54  semomi init : can't exec getty 'none' for port /dev/ttyp1 : No such file or directory.
>         Sep 14 17:21:54  semomi init : can't exec getty 'none' for port /dev/ttyp2 : No such file or directory.

> Of course, there are /dev/ttyp? file.  And I remaked them by
> ./MAKEDEV but nothing changed.

> Would anyone know how to fix this problem?

Someone must have edited /etc/ttys and marked the pseudo-ttys as "on".
If you do this, init will obediently try to run the specified getty
process on those lines, except that whoever changed this also didn't
change the getty process from the default, which is "none".  Thus, init
tries to run "none" and - as the log message indicates - fails.

The fix, as you can probably deduce from the above, is to either change
the "none" to the correct program you want to run - if you want to run
one - or, more likely, you don't want to run a getty on the
pseudo-ttys, in which case you should remove the "on" or at least
change it to "off".

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu