Subject: Stand alone bootable floppy with telnet support
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John C. Hayward <johnh@david.wheaton.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 09/15/1995 22:44:36
Dear NetBSDers,
   I have been asked to see if there might be a way to allow a PC on campus
with modem and eithernet to provide terminal dialup support to the network.

   The person is using windows and dos during the day and does
not want to partition the hardrive and in the evening would like to have
terminal access by modem in the evening.  Basicly a simple terminal server
is what is called for here.

    I am looking at ka9q and looked at pcroute.

    I noticed that on a morning star(???) router we reciently got it had a
cut down version of BSDI running off a floppy.

    I'm wondering if it would be possible to make a stand alone bootable
floppy with a telnet like program which would take input from the modem
and provide telnet facilities.  On modem hangup - disconnect the session
and wait for the modem to come on before presenting a telnet prompt.

    In the distribution of NetBSD on floppies space was saved by making a
bunch of exeutables all in one file and providing links to various names
and some kind of dispatcher.

    Basicly the person could shove in the bootable diskett and reboot
the computer before leaving the office then call in via modem and from
there telnet to where ever.

     Anybody done something like this with NetBSD?  Any pointers or
suggestions?

johnh...