Subject: Strange Behavior from sl0 & lo0 in -current
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Donald J. Maddox <root@rhiannon>
List: current-users
Date: 09/14/1995 22:46:46
System:
        NetBSD 1.0a (RHIANNON) #48: Thu Sep 14 17:56:58 EDT 1995
        dmaddox@rhiannon.scsn.net:/usr/src/sys/arch/amiga/compile/RHIANNON

        Running binaries from Aug 20 Amiga snapshot on ftp.netbsd.org

   Ever since the 950702 binary snapshot, I have been experiencing some
rather strange behavior from my network interfaces.  My network
connection is dynamic SLIP via a local ISP.  I usually use BSDDip-1.02 to
start it up, but even if I use tip to dial, and configure the interfaces
by hand, I still have the same problem:

>~ >% netstat -i
Name  Mtu   Network     Address            Ipkts Ierrs    Opkts Oerrs  Coll
sl0   296   <Link>                         13906     0     6243     0     0
sl0   296   206.25.246  cola61             13906     0     6243     0     0
ppp0* 1500  <Link>                             0     0        0     0     0
lo0   32768 <Link>                            52     0       52     0     0
lo0   32768 127         localhost             52     0       52     0     0
tun0* 1500  <Link>                             0     0        0     0     0
tun1* 1500  <Link>                             0     0        0     0     0

    Notice the *two* instances of both lo0 and sl0...

    Immediately after starting the system (before making the SLIP
connection to my ISP) there is one instance of sl0, but still two instances
of lo0.  Within a few minutes after starting my SLIP connection, I get
the message:

      "routed[xxx]: deleting route to interface sl0 - timed out"

or words to that effect.  The running SLIP connection is not affected, and
the output from 'netstat -i' doesn't change at all.  If I don't actually
start a SLIP connection, I don't get this message.

    At first I thought this was a problem with the 950702 binaries, but I
have replaced them since with the Aug. 20 binaries from the snapshot on
ftp.netbsd.org (I *did* use the --unlink switch, to make sure everything
got replaced) and the problem persists.  I did not observe this behavior
before 950702.  Nothing has changed in /etc, or in the way I connect to
my ISP.

    Does any of this make sense to any of you?  Has anybody else observed
this behavior?