Subject: Two things: i386 boot code and boot man page
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Captech) <greywolf@aahz.VAS.viewlogic.com (James Graham>
List: current-users
Date: 09/13/1995 12:41:47
Greetings, it's your friendly nosy wolf again :-) (gotta curb that habit --
the toxic fumes from the resultant flames give one drain bamage).

Note:  This is i386-specific, though if other ports have managed a way
around this conundrum, I'm open to suggestions.

Has anyone given any thought to a method by which reboot parameters
are passed onto the boot process...?  I.e. 'reboot -- wd2g:/vmunix -as'

I have a thought but haven't figured out implementation yet.  Before
I proceed:  Is there any way to reliably stash said parameters in a
location which won't get trounced by the machine doing a warm boot?

If not, the way I could see this working would be to tweak some-
thing in the primary or secondary boot block (probably the secondary...),
making SURE the boot file is sync'd before rebooting and then having
the boot block do the right thing.

Another way would involve state files sitting around somewhere, but
that's probably a worse kludge and wouldn't help with the '-a' case.

Now, about the i386 man page (no system; still poking about in sources
-- could someone be so kind as to send-pr this?):  It makes a reference
to the "Installing and Operating 4.3 BSD-Reno UNIX on the AT/386" guide.
It's low priority but it should probably be removed.  (Especially since,
as distributed, it uses the evil copyrighted U word (my own local mods
notwithstanding :-)).

				--*greywolf;