Subject: Re: Odd ccd(4) problem
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 09/05/1995 21:43:29
On Mon, 4 Sep 1995 21:27:07 -0400
 der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU> wrote:

 > > Actually, I guess this indicates a need for a special "ccd component"
 > > type entry for disklabel?  Or should the partition simply be marked
 > > as a "raw" partition, sharing this type with database log partitions
 > > etc?

Ummm ... "no".  A disk driver's notion of the "raw" partition is the one
that encompasses the entire disk ... So, unless you're using partition
`c' (on most ports, `d' on the i386), you're not using the "raw"
partition as far as, for example, a SCSI disk driver is concerned.

Also, the consequences of requiring a special "ccd component" fstype seem
unacceptable to me ... that would break the N ccds currently running on
NetBSD/hp300 1.0 machines.  (I do know that several exist.)

 > Personally, I think ccd has no business looking at those partition
 > types.  But I definitely think a special ccd-component partition type
 > is _not_ the way to go; if nothing else, it makes life hard for people
 > running ports using non-NetBSD disk partitions.  For example, under
 > NetBSD/sparc on a disk with a SunOS label, there are no partition types
 > in the label, so it would be impossible to use a ccd that insisted on a
 > special partition type on such a disk.

That's a good point.

I seem to be hearing that alot of people want the fstype restrictions to
be a little more liberal.  They are currently as they are mostly for
historical reasons.  There's no technical reason why they couldn't be
changed, but there is a question of semantics to be addressed.

There are currently 16 fstypes defined in disklabel.h.  Obvious ones to
exclude are FS_UNUSED, FS_SWAP, FS_ISO9660, and FS_BOOT.  So, which
others do you want to exclude?  Some might say FS_MSDOS, others might
say FS_HFS, etc.  Considering that the default partition type for
`faked' disklabels is FS_BSDFFS, and some ports Just Can't change
fstypes, it seems that limiting components to FS_BSDFFS ir _reasonable_.

Whatever the final semantics, it's definitely worth documenting in the
ccd(4) manual page ... simply an oversight ... glad we caught it now :-)

Ok ... provide input :-)