Subject: -current binary snapshots, "virtual releases", etc.
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@cloud9.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/04/1995 15:19:44
I really don't see what the difference between what several people are
proposing to do is, and what I'm already doing.

I have been building binary snapshots essentially every time substantial new
features are added for some weeks now.  If there's really demand for
it, I could start doing this on a regular basis every Monday or
something.

If people really want installable-from-bare-bones kits, it's not a
huge amount more work to make those, assuming they're to install like
1.0.  I have some nicer install tools that will go on the Wasabi
CD-ROM, but we've decided not to release them until the beta disc
happens.  I can split the tar files and make boot and install floppies
if desired, and make those available for FTP.

Is there really demand for this?  I don't see a reason to duplicate
effort, and we make the binary snapshots on the Wasabi FTP site for
our own internal consumption, so I'll make them regardless.  I run
these snapshots on production machines with some very important stuff
on them, so I tend to be pretty careful not to put stuff up that's not
stable.

Lastly, I think the right way to deal with source dates is to have a
NetBSD (or __NetBSD_Date__) or something variable in param.h; this
could be used like the BSD value currently is.  That does get a bit
sticky with CVS, however.

I don't see a whole lot of hits on the Wasabi FTP site.  Is there
really that much demand for -current snapshots?  Perhaps there should
be a pointer to us somewhere there's not, or something.

Thor