Subject: Re: detecting -current versions
To: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@zen.void.oz.au>
List: current-users
Date: 09/03/1995 13:48:16
> >As an example, the following patch to /sys/conf/newvers.sh
> >will append the content of /usr/src/sup.date to osrelease[] if it is a
> >-current version.
>
> This is a good idea.

Thanks.  I'm not sure about the best format though.

I have a snazy system config cloning tool that this would be
particularly useful for.  Eg. you may have a different set of binaries
for installing on 9505* snapsots verses 9508* etc.

At present my os.sh uses the following for allowing various
distinctions.

OS=`uname`
MACHINE=`uname -m`
OSREL=`uname -r`
OSMAJOR=`IFS=.; set $OSREL; echo $1`

Now for -current $OSMAJOR is not much use -current and 1.0 are
definitely not the same thing :-), but you wouldn't want to have to
have a zillion trees for each 1.0A-*

Anyway, I thought the following format might be more useful for simple
parsing.

$ uname -r
1.0A.95.08.18

Having separators b/w year month and day allows picking them out
easily.

Thoughts?  In the absence of better suggestions I'll send-pr it with
the extra '.'s

--sjg