Subject: Re: BIND/Hesiod
To: Greg Hudson <ghudson@MIT.EDU>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/02/1995 11:36:31
>> Iowa State, being the second largest Athena site outside of MIT,
>> made extensive use of Hesiod.  And integrating a NetBSD system into
>> that environment wasn't always trivial.  At the very least, it could
>> be frustrating and time consuming because you had to do all the
>> Hesiod and Kerberos integration yourself each time.

>I don't understand the problems you're referring to.  At MIT, we've
>had no particular trouble integrating NetBSD into the Athena
>environment, and the Hesiod library required essentially no porting
>effort.

Actually, what I meant was that it was non-trivial for each
stand-alone user to do this to his/her own system.  Certainly, we
could have done it from the central systems group as a one shot deal,
and been done with it.  But we were understaffed and overworked as it
was, and that certainly wasn't high on the priority list.  Not to
mention that then the Linux people would want it too, then the OS/2
people, then the Win95 people, then the Mac people....

     NetBSD working ports: 386+PC, Mac, Amiga, HP300, Sun3, Sun4, PC532,
                           DEC pmax (MIPS R2k/3k), DEC/AXP (Alpha)
     NetBSD ports in progress: VAX and others...