Subject: Re: detecting -current versions
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 08/31/1995 21:02:43
>>> Is there a way to tell what version of -current a machine is
>>> running?
>> Does -current have versions?  Usually that amounts to the date of
>> the sup.  You could record the sup date somewhere and then look at
>> that.  It may be a nice project for something like that to become
>> standard issue, any takers?
> Hmmm... I think the need for this is just a reflection of the need
> for a new release.  You could just read ident strings, if it can't
> wait...

For the original poster's need, that's a good idea.  But I'd like to
have a date-of-sup thing available.  I'm doing it "by hand" already,
principally so that PRs I send can state which sup's date they're with
respect to.  (I have a cron job supping every night; I periodically
clone the sup tree - which nothing but sup _ever_ writes to - and apply
my patches.  When it builds and runs after that treatment, I save the
cloned tree.  That means I have three source trees, plus the build
tree, kicking around.  All of these trees want datestamps....)

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu