Subject: Re: sound cards
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/30/1995 10:21:50
>Date: Tue, 29 Aug 1995 16:27:21 -0400
>From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>

>There were several people working on drivers for sound cards other
>than the soundblaster, including the GUS. Anyone get anywhere with
>that stuff?

-current now has a GUS driver in the tree (written by John Kohl).

I've been working on the following, but progress is slow (day job
comes first, sigh):

/sys/dev/isa/pss.c: I fixed the IRQ/DRQ detection and the rest of the
probe/attach code, only to find out that both wss0 and sp0 wanted to
talk to the same hardware.  Not Good.  Now I'm working on eliminating
the sp "driver", and having the PSS' WSS emulation use the wss driver
instead.  Kernels I've made with this code tend to die ugly deaths in
autoconfig.  This code also has some copyright problems.

/sys/dev/isa/wss.c: Fixed.  May need more changes in order to be
usable by the pss driver.  This would work if the ad1848 support were
not broken.

/sys/dev/isa/ad1848.c: I've fixed some things in here, but I still
can't get it to work.

I can mail patches to any interested parties.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>           http://www.shore.net/~mikel
Norwood, MA 02062 USA                assert(*this!=opinionof(Analog));