Subject: Termcap & {n,}curses
To: (NetBSD/current-users Maillist) <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Brownlee <D.K.Brownlee@city.ac.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 08/29/1995 12:14:01
	Are there any plans to move NetBSD to ncurses?
	Given that 4.4 curses is officially obsolete (according to
	the person who mainatined it :), and ncurses has a BSD like
	copying policy, it would make sense to move across (Particularly
	as BSD curses is really pretty poor in places).

	The only real problem I can see is the fact it runs on terminfo
	by default rather than termcap (and its termcap use is... shall
	we say, suboptimal - intentionally I believe to encourage people
	to use terminfo). So either NetBSD would have to move across
	to terminfo (cue another holy war, but as long as it provides
	the library interface to both types, quelle problem? :), or ncurses
	would need to be hacked to sit on top of termcap better...

	So.. should NetBSD move to ncurses? and if so how?
	If it will involve any work, is anyone working on it, and if not
	should I have a go & submit any changes?

		David/abs

 D.K.Brownlee@city.ac.uk (MIME) +44 171 477 8186  {post,host}master  (abs)
Network Analyst, UCS, City University, Northampton Square, London EC1V 0HB.
   <<< Monochrome - Largest UK Internet BBS - telnet mono.city.ac.uk >>>